Garden Update

I mentioned a while back that Eric and I started a garden this year. We took on a few manageable plants and everything was going a-ok. And then our landlord sent someone over to ‘clean up’ the backyard and he sprayed weed killer on all of our plants. He killed my baby bok choy that was ready almost to be eaten.

Cue sadness.

But luckily he was smart enough to leave our plants in planters alone, so all was not lost! So let’s move on to the good news. Our herbs are doing quite well.

mint

I transferred a clipping of mint to a pot last summer and I am happy to say that it is getting out of control. Mojitos anyone?

rosemary

The rosemary plant might not look like much to you, but this baby was on the brink of death after winter. Although it is still fairly scrawny, it is a lot more vibrant with plenty of growth.

basil

I also have a surprise basil plant! I bought a basil plant last year and it died at the beginning of winter. I never pulled up the dead plant and just left it be. There was some sprouting in the soil at the beginning of spring and I kept pulling it out, thinking it was weeds. While I eventually left it completely be, and next thing ya know, I have a fully functioning basil plant.

carrots

Although the carrots don’t look so hot, I do have carrots! I need to weed these out to make room for growth.

kale

And I am growing some kale, but it’s not doing so hot. It’s not doing bad, but not doing well either.

radish

But tonight I was finally able to enjoy a vegetable that I grew when I pulled the first bulging radish out of the container. A few more are about ready to be pulled as well!

So all in all, not too bad. Obviously things would be a lot better if my landlord hadn’t sent a hit-man to kill my plants, but oh well.

This entry was posted in garden, garden philadelphia. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Garden Update

1. Kelly says:

Sorry to hear about the bok choy, but those radishes and herbs are lookin’ absolutely fine. Those damn bok choy killers are 99% what is wrong with the world.

I am determined to plant some more bok choy as soon as the weather cools off slightly!! Then we can grill it and eat it.
      The radishes were delicious.
      And I believe the herbs need to be used in some drink making. Get Josh to come up with a basil infused cocktail!

2. rachel says:

oh my god, eric, your comment made my stomach drop. our waiter mentioned nothing of the sort. i’m going to call right now.

3. Ricki says:

How awful that your landlord wrecked your garden! But I’d say your pots are doing very well. :) I planted basil last year that died and now I’m wondering if it would have revived if I’d left it be! And of course our mint (which was here before we moved in) is threatening to overtake the entire side of the house. 😉

4. I wish I had green thumb skills. I kill everything, except I’ve had good luck with basil. So that’s all I have this year. I do finally have a backyard, but its covered by a giant tree so no sun. And I’m pretty sure my dog would pee all over anything I tried to plant.

5. Taylor says:

Oh, that is so very sad what weed-killer clean-up dude did. Maybe next year put the veggies in a raised bed or mark off the area with rope so it’s very clear that those tall green things are intentional.

6. he says he’ll come up with something not too cloying – anything gin or tequila based with lime.

7. Lindsay Palmer says:

I would have killed them. That’s right, an eye for an eye.

How much sun are those carrots and the Kale getting? As in how many hours a day?

Killing is not very nice Lindsay. DUH.
      I’m not sure on hours, but they are in half sun/half shade. I had them in full shade for a while, then moved them into full sun, and now they are doing their half and half thing.
      Where should they be?

8. You should put up some “No Spray Zone” signs. You might want to try to shade your kale. Since its so hot out, it might be a bit too intense for it to grow well. Chard is also easy to grow and will last through the fall. I think your little garden is great!

9. simon says:

you had me on the herbs, but I despise radishes with a fiery passion

10. sonia says:

the garden looks great!
    I looove radishes :)

Thaaanks! And hey, I’m not sure if you put this together, but I know you! Kind of. I met you through Rachel Ward at a party once in Lubbock.

11. Lindsay Palmer says:

They should def be full sun. Veggies should always get at least 6 hours of sun a day, but usually the more the better. Kale is a cool weather veggie, but it still needs lots of sun. They are probably just out of season, but I don’t know anything about philly’s zone and growing seasons, so that is a guess. Good news is that if it is peak summer there, it is the perfect time to plant squash, peppers, tomatoes, okra, or some melons. I don’t know if you would actually eat any of those, though. Maybe you should just grow potatoes.

Maybe you should make some scarecrows of you and eric’s faces to scare of future plant killers.

Ok, I think it might actually be that we are having an unseasonably warm summer here. Maybe the warmest in history? I knew kale was a cooler weather crop, but it was cool last summer. GUESS THE DAMN WEATHER PROVED ME WRONG.

I will probably plant some more at the beginning of September.

My tomatoes are struggling though…should they be full sun? I heard they love humid weather, but they are suffering!
      And I do like squash, peppers and melons. I actually had peppers going till my landlord killed them.

And I might actually need to make scarecrows, something is eating my radish leaves.

12. Lindsay Palmer says:

Just be glad you were not living on the banks of plum creek when the grasshoppers came and ate everything like the Ingalls family. It was very sad.

Yes tomatoes are serious sun lovers, and they also like to be fertilized once a month, with some fertilizer tea or something. My tomatoes are in full sun and thriving here in Austin, so you know they can handle lots of sun and heat. Sungold tomatoes are my favorite, they grow no matter what you do to them.

Here is what you do for the radishes. I learned this from The Urban Homestead, which is a reallllly awesome book. One day water them like mid to late afternoon to draw the caterpillars to your plants, (cause that is probably what is eating them) then go out at like 11 pm with a flashlight and kill kill kill. if you smoosh all the caterpillars that you find in one night that should take care of them. And yes, it has to be that late, I know it is hard to stay up past our bedtimes.

• Eric says:

We try not to kill insects Lindsay, especially outside 😉

I hate little house on the prairie. HATE IT.

Well my ‘maters are not loving the son. I will attend to them this evening and maybe figure something out.

Um I am VEGAN Lindsay, VEGAN. No smooshing caterpillars for me!

Also, can we chit chat on the phone or computer sometime soon? I miss ya!

13. Lindsay Palmer says:

I would argue that killing them is vegan, and here is why:

We can all agree that we do not want to use pesticides period.
    There is no good way that I know of to annoy or simply deter them from your plants. Caterpillars are a form of garden buggie with high determination and a large appetite. They are going to slowly but surely eat those radish tops until they are skeletons, which will affect radish growth. Smooshing them is more humane that organic bacterial sprays, which will make them unable to eat until they starve to death. So that is the most humane option for any organic gardener, who is serious about growing a high production garden. Any organic produce you buy is from a grower or garden delivery, is at the very least stepping on bugs, but probably spraying them with BT or something similar. Organic gardener’s should plan to lose about 15% of their crop to wildlife, but anything more than that is feeding bugs, not yourself.

And if we can not have a sustainable organic gardening practice, which yes involves killing some bugs, then we must hunt. And I would rather kill worms. It is not optimal, but that is how food chains work, alas.

That being said, the fact that you are being invaded by pests is an indicator that something is amiss in your garden. It is probably one of three things. Too much/not enough water, not enough sunlight/veggies are being grown out of season, or the soil is not providing enough nutrients. If you won’t kill any bugs, then you will probably have to loose what you have this season, try and figure out what the problem is, and make sure it does not happen next season.
    Floating row covers are also an option, but they are targeted to flying pests, not crawly ones, so I am not sure if they will work.

Just think what would Pa Ingalls do?