Lancaster Farm Fresh CSA Week 9

Eric was busy Tuesday night, which meant I was left to pick up the CSA. I hurried home, then walked the few blocks to Almanac Market to pick it up. I was pretty excited about this week’s share, but OH MY GOD MORE ZUCCHINIS. No more zucchinis. Please.

Anyways, let’s get on to the produce.

1 bag white cucumbers – transitional – Liberty Branch Farm

1 bag shallots – certified organic – Shady Brook Organics

Lancaster CSA Share

2 heads radicchio – certified organic – Bellview Organics

Lancaster CSA Share

1 bulb fennel – certified organic – Autumn Blend

Lancaster CSA Share

On the walk home I started brewing dinner ideas, and was pretty pleased with what I came up with, even though it’s sort of bland.

I made a large salad for us to share using the radicchio, fennel, beets, carrots and lettuce. Topped with an orange vinaigrette.

Lancaster CSA Share

On the side I cooked up some of the lemony potatoes with quinoa.

Lancaster CSA Share

If anyone has any meal ideas with any of the produce, I would love to hear them (ESPECIALLY ZUCCHINI).

10 Responses to Lancaster Farm Fresh CSA Week 9

1. Lacey says:

mmmm. I love zucchini. Have you thought about making a raw zucchini bread/cake? That would be a good different way to use them up. I usually use zucchini, agave, coconut oil (optional but delicious), ginger, walnuts, coconut and some cinnamon. If you have a dehydrator it would probably be even better dehydrated :)

I made zucchini muffins with them, but perhaps I could do them in bread form. That might be good.

I have dehydrated so many already! I’ve stuffed myself with dehydrated zucchini chips, so good!

2. mihl says:

I have never seen white cucumbers before! All your produce looks wonderful.

3. Krys says:

Here is a Summer Squash Gratin recipe I made last week. It was a recipe I veganized and made into my own. It turned out quite tasty. The recipe can be cut in half and use a 8X8 pan.

Summer Squash Gratin
    6T soy margarine, plus some for the top
    1 lg yellow onion, diced
    1lb zucchini squash, sliced 1/4″ thick
    1lb yellow squash, sliced 1/4″ thick
    1t salt
    1T nutritional yeast
    1t ground pepper
    2T flour
    1c hot soy milk
    3/4c bread crumbs
    1c Daiya cheeze, mozerella & cheddar (1/2cup each)
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Melt the margarine in a large skillet. Cook onion until tender. Add the squash and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, or until tender. Add the salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. Stir in the flour. Add the hot soy milk and cook over low heat for a few minutes, until it makes a sauce. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9X13″ cassserole dish. Combine the bread crumbs and Daiya cheezeand sprinkle on top of the squash mixture. Dot with 1 tablespoon of margarine cut into small bits and bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and browned

4. Kimberly says:

You can never go wrong with spiralizing zuchinni and using it as pasta.

5. I love the photo of the quinoa dish.

You have a dehydrator, right? I’ve been thinly-slicing, salting, and draining my zucchini, then tossing it with olive oil, Braggs (or soy sauce), and a dash of baslamic, then dehydrating for several hours till chewy. It creates an almost jerky-like snack; works with eggplant too. :]

6. susan says:

i was even questioning his actions last week when he traded in to get additional zucchini…when i get too overwhelmed i dehydrate mine and save them for winter soup and stews…that’s about when i am ready for them again