Burgers and Beers

I finally got in semi early last night and was able to whip up a real dinner so we decided to grill. My goal was to come up with a new veggieburger recipe and while it tasted good it didn’t hold together too well on the grill. I think they would have cooked much better on the cast iron but one of these days I will get a dialed burger that holds together on the grill! Or at least I hope. We also made rosemary potatoes and onion skewers as well as fresh corn. The corn lately has been so terrific and a bit of salt and pepper is all they really need.

I topped my burger with bib lettuce, raw onions, bbq sauce, nooch, and sunflower shoots. Love these things!

_MG_9587

We washed it all down with Aecht Schlenkerla Helles Lagerbier. Yum. We’ve enjoyed their smoked beer in the past and this was also a great product and perfect as a summertime larger.

_MG_9563

11 Responses to Burgers and Beers

1. urbanvegan says:

Yummers~ I have to make a burger this summer, at some point. I love them.

We have so much in common, between the running, CSA share and veganism. Yes, Eric, I plan on doing the R&R 1/2. Not sure how I’ll do tho’, since my piriformus is acting up! :(

Maybe I’ll run into (yuk-yuk) you guys there?

• Eric says:

Ahh well I hope you get your piriformus issues dealt with. That could be rough! I know we do seem to have quite a bit in common :) Lauren’s going to be running it and I’ll be there supporting, so if you hear a “YEAH Urban Vegan” you know who its coming from.

If I see you running during this half I will say hi! Good luck with the training, I am glad it is finally starting to cool off on the weekends (aka atleast it’s below 90).

2. Lacey says:

I have a recipe for a veggie burger that has beans, tofu and vital wheat gluten in them and they hold up on the grill. That combination seems to be the best I’ve found for making burgers stick. I don’t use oats, quinoa or rice anymore.

• Eric says:

Yah I think beans or something to that nature is key. We rarely have tofu around and Lauren is not a fan of the texture/chewiness of wheat gluten so Ive been trying to come up with veggies burgers that are more or less veggies and quinoa/millet ect. Ive found I rarely like the texture rice gives it, or at least long grain brown.

3. I read a homemade-veggie-burger tip/idea recently that I’ve never heard before. This recipe I saw called for a cup of overcooked pasta to be mixed in (in the food processor), and allegedly, the starch and gumminess from that made the burger stick together perfectly. I need to try that!

4. I’ve been loving corn this summer too! There are people selling piles of it out of their pickups here in rural IL :)
    I love mine with a bit of salt and chili powder, then with a wedge of lime squeezed over the top!
    Funny fact: niacin in corn is biologically unavailable to us, and can be released by combining it with lime- the alkaline lime makes our bodies absorb it!

5. holy cow, that looks delish. Even the frozen veggie patties I buy seem to fall apart; if they don’t fall apart, I fear there’s something manmade holding them together.

6. I love homemade veggie burgers. Although, I’ve never tried grilling them, probably because they do tend to be so crumbly. Rosemary potatoes sound delish too!

7. Mihl says:

Shame on me, I never tried German Lagerbier. Next time I’m at the shop, I’ll definitely have a closer look when I pass the beer aisle.