Cha cha changes

When I started this blog I actually wanted it to be a little bit more personal. But let’s face it, taking photos of what we eat is a little bit easier than sitting down and writing out a lengthy post. But today I decided to change that so I can update everyone on all the (good) changes in my life! So take a seat because this isn’t short!

As you probably know, when we moved to Philadelphia I quit my job as a photo editor for a magazine. It was my first job out of college and I learned a lot, got to put my major to work, and had the best co-workers a person could ask for. It was hard to leave.

I knew moving up here would be tough on the job front because it was the middle of the recession, but I had high hopes that I would be able to find something photo related. Well months passed and I found myself applying for the most random jobs, just to get a job. Eventually I did find a job, but it wasn’t exactly what I wanted to do. But I kept working and kept looking.

I felt really lost, and wasn’t really a happy person. Unfortunately Eric had to put up with a lot of it. I would come home from work in a bad mood because it took me two hours to drive home, or I would come home crying because I had had a terrible day at work.

I had been toying with the idea of looking into going back to school to study nutrition and becoming a registered dietitian. But it just always seemed like too much to take on. I needed to take a bunch of pre-requisites to even apply to master’s programs. So I kept pushing the idea in the back of my head and keeping up with life. But honestly, my life wasn’t going to get better on it’s own. I had to take ownership of what I wanted to do and I had to be the one to make the necessary changes.

I reached the point where I realized that I was never going to get any closer to my goal if I didn’t do anything. So starting this semester (next week!) I am going back to school to start taking the pre-requites required to apply for a Master’s in Human Nutrition. I’m not sure what exactly is going to happen, because I definitely have a long road ahead of me. But I can’t do anything without taking these classes, so taking these classes it is!

This semester I am going to continue to work part-time at my current job, which is awesome, and hopefully that will keep up so I don’t go completely broke.

This past week I started working part-time, which meant I had a lot of time to mess around in the kitchen. I started off by making a Sunflower Seed Pate. Gena, at Choosing Raw, posted this recipe, and I was really excited to finally make it. I omitted the dill because I didn’t have any, but it still turned out excellent.

Sunflower Seed Pate

I think it has a great taste and texture. I have been putting it on carrots, bread and in wraps.

Sunflower Seed Pate

I also made homemade Larabars. These were incredibly easy and I can’t wait to mess around with the recipe to develop more flavors.

Homemade Larabars

This bar was just almonds, dates and chocolate chips. I think these will be great to take to class!

Homemade Larabars

I have made a few more recipes, but I think this post is getting way too long.

32 Responses to Cha cha changes

1. That’s exciting! I’ve thought a lot about switching my major from journalism to nutrition, but that would be also transferring schools. I have a feeling I may one day get a masters in nutrition…or at least end up attempting to freelance on the topic. I’m dreading finding a job though. Good luck, and I’m excited to hear about your transition.

I think you will definitely be able to tie journalism and nutrition into something. Journalism is an awesome degree to have, though, because it can translate into so many other things.

And thank you!

2. allison says:

lauren, that’s so exciting!! i, too, am sort of lost in the bustle of life. i work in marketing, but it’s just not making me happy. i’ve toyed with the idea of going to school for accupuncture, and i know my life wont change on it’s own, so you sort of inspired me to get my butt in motion. good luck!!

Really, that’s awesome! My cousin actually went back to school for Chinese Medicine when she was almost 30. She loves what she does now and wouldn’t trade it for the world.

I seriously considered going into the alternative medicine field as well, it’s so exciting and definitely on the up and coming.

If you are really interested in it you should definitely start looking in to it, it would be awesome!

3. I am so excited for you! Where are you going to take classes? Drexel has a great MS program, it is pricey but Donna Muller is in charge and she would be a great person for you to talk to if you have any questions. It can be really scary going back, but if it is what you really want to spend your life doing then it’s completely worth it.

I’m taking all the pre-reqs at CCP, and then hopefully going to Drexel!

I was so clueless for a while, but I feel like I have everything mapped out and on track, so I need to make an appointment to meet with someone at Drexel.

4. Mihl says:

Congrats on your decision! I really hope you enjoy your classes!

5. Kristine says:

Yay! We need more people with letters after their names spreading the good news about plant foods. (and isn’t it amazing what nuts and seeds can turn themselves into?) If you haven’t already, check out PCRM.org. Loads of vegan RDs, PhDs, MDs : )

Haha, I can’t wait to have more leverage when people ask me where I get my protein and calcium. It will be awesome and then I can be like “oh, and what you are credentials?!”

6. Lacey says:

Congratulations on taking ownership of your life and doing what makes YOU happy!

7. Ben says:

Congrats on taking the first step! What classes are you taking?

8. Hello! I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it! I’ve been very unhappy in my current line of work as well and have been toying with the idea of going back to school for nutrition. I’m looking forward to reading about your new school/career path!

Congrats! Big change from photo editor, but I have confidence that you will excel at that, too! Good for you for following your heart — not nearly enough people do that… myself included… yet. ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. Brody says:

Congrats on making changes! It’s good you were able to realize the necessity of it when you did. It takes some people years to figure that out. Can’t wait to hear what comes of it. PS We miss you!

11. Congrats Lauren! Does that mean you were a photoj major in undergrad? That was my major, but I wound up finding work as a newspaper reporter and that’s what I do now. I’ve often thought about going back to school for something food related, like nutrition or even culinary school (except the only vegan one is in Portland, way far from home). I’m so proud of you for jumping in there and doing it. It’s not easy to decide to go back to school when you’ve been out for awhile!

Huzzah! I sort of decided a couple of months ago that I’m going to start looking into becoming a fitness instructor after graduation. I’m still intending on going to grad school for photo. I think i’ve always had some interest in making life better for people physically but I couldn’t deal with the phobias I had when doing massage therapy. I’m thinking it’s a great post grad
    plan and a nice balance for the things I want to do. Anyway, pre reqs suck man!

13. That is sooo cool!! I desperately wanted to get an MA in nutrition or become a dietician..but the thing is, I’m not very good at chemistry! I was looking into a lot of programs and found myself getting anxious about taking science classes, so I knew it probably wasn’t the field I should pursue…
    I am still extremely interested in nutrition, though, and through the Clinical Psychology program I’m in, I’ll at least be able to counsel individuals with eating disorders as well as do research on diet, eating disorders, etc… My thesis is going to deal with these topics and I’m SOOO excited about it!
    So… You go girl!! It is really wonderful that you are pursuing what you truly want to do and getting yourself to a great and happy place! It’s not always easy to admit that you need a change!

so exciting! thanks for sharing.

we are on similar paths– a few months after i moved here, i contacted one of the local universities about taking a grad or continuing ed. night class, in anticipation of my applying for my phd (again, though in a different field)– but since i hadn’t found a job yet, majorly broke and already scrounging off my man, i couldn’t afford it. your post has motivated me to have another go at it, since now i have a job/money! time to take ownership. :)

15. Aura says:

Thats so awesome, congrats :)

16. Melissa Cari says:

Lauren congrats on your decision! If you need any books or advice or anything let me know! I’m so excited for you!!!!

17. kristastes says:

Yay girlfriend! I’m so pumped for ya!! I was in the same boat (only I maybe want to go to vet school) and did an accelerated post-bac program to finish all of those science pre-reqs. Even though it was the year from hell, it was totally worth it. It’s a great feeling to get started on something that will take you towards your goal!

18. simon says:

Congrats on going back to school. Good luck to you!

19. Katie says:

Thanks so much for sharing this, Lauren! I think your story rings true for a LOT of post-grads… we think that just because we majored in a certain thing, the career we choose has to line up with it. I majored in English because I loved it, so I thought I had to find a job that “made sense” for English majors. WRONG. It totally sucked the joy out of it, and I’m also hoping for a totally different career! GOOD LUCK ๐Ÿ˜€

20. I am so excited for you! And kind of jealous too :) I was actually in the process of applying to grad school for an R.D. program 4 years ago when I finally got offered the job that I had been trying to get for years. While I absolutely LOVE my job, it’s not something I can see myself doing into old age. I have recently started thinking again about going back to school to study nutrition. I’d love to hear more as you go through the process!

21. Amanda says:

You’re super inspiring, Lauren. Inspiring me to get back into shape and also to have a career goal! Keep up the personal updates. Your food photos are beautiful, but I can’t help but think that every dish you highlight would be more appetizing to me with the addition of some meat or dairy.. Har har.