Running in 2011

ING Rock n Roll Half Marathon

2010 was a great running year for me! I ran my first 10k, my first 10 mile race and my first, second, third and fourth half marathon! I accomplished more than I ever thought and to be quite honest, I am pretty darn proud of myself.

Broad Street Run

The 2011 running season is just around the corner and I thought I would talk about races I want to do, training plan and injuries.

Races:

• My first race of 2011 will be the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in DC! I am SO excited I got into this race. The 10 miler is on April 3rd, so not too close, but definitely coming up quickly!
  • And a few weeks later, on May 1 I will be running Broad Street in Philadelphia. This one is another 10 mile race and I can’t wait for it!
  • I would really like to expand my horizons this year and really want to do a duathlon or a triathlon. There is the Go Diva Duathlon in July and the SheRox Triathlon in August. As much as I would like to do both, they are pretty pricey, over $100 each, so I might have to choose one or the other. The triathlon would be a lot more fun and challenging, but I don’t have access to a pool, making it a lot more difficult to train. I really need to figure that part out and if I can’t make the swimming work then obviously the duathlon would be a better choice.
  • I don’t have any half marathons on my schedule quite yet, but I will more than likely run the Philly Rock ‘N’ Roll again. I hope I can find some more because I love running halfs!
  • And the big running news is…I am planning on running my first FULL marathon this year! I have my sites set on the Marine Corps Marathon in DC, which is October 31st. So fingers crossed I can get in when registration opens in a few weeks. I’m really looking forward to training and running the full and hopefully my whole family will be able to come up to watch me.
  • I loved traveling to Texas last year to run a half marathon and I hope I can do the same this year. Maybe I will run San Antonio again, or maybe something else!

Running at Wissahickon

Training:

Since Cherry Blossom is up first I have already started training (sort of, more on that a few paragraphs down). It actually took me a long time to come up with a training plan, but I think I finally settled on a plan I like.

The biggest obstacle is going to be our vacation to Belgium. I am more than likely not taking my running shoes and don’t plan on running. We will be walking a lot and I am going to do to do some strength training, but that’s it.

I wanted to incorporate strength training twice a week and will either lift weights at the gym or do Jillian Micheal’s 30 Day Shred if I am pressed for time. I’m also obsessed with riding my bike and will be using that as cross training.

Even though I tried to take winter off from running, I kept some base miles so hopefully it won’t be too hard to get back in the swing of things.

Injuries:

I really lucked out and made it through all of last year without getting injured. And them BAM! I finish the Philly half in November and it’s just been one thing after the other. At about mile 11 my calves started to really cramp up but I pushed through. As soon as I crossed the finish line I felt a pain in my right foot that made it nearly impossible to walk. After some computer research and twitter help I realized I was dealing with plantar fasciitis. I took three weeks completely off from running and iced and stretched like crazy. Freezing a water bottle and rolling it underneath my feet helped the most.

By the time December ended my feet were feeling good and I started running some more. In the beginning of January I started to notice a pain in my right hip while doing lunges. I iced and stretched my hip but kept working out through the pain. It never bothered me while running, but seemed to flare up while lunging, squatting or just sitting. The pain eventually subsided into a dull ache that was bearable and didn’t bother me, but my hip never felt right.

And then a few weeks ago, out of no where, I injured my back mysteriously and was in some of the worst pain ever for about a week. I did a lot of online research and it seemed like my back pain could be related to my hip pain.

I finally made an appointment with a doctor for my hip and back pain and went this past week. I am dealing with piriformis in my right hip, and like I suspected, this is what also caused some of my back pain. The doctor was amazing and really stretched out my hip and gave me exercises to do at home. Even though Cherry Blossom training was supposed to officially start on Monday, he wanted me to give it a few days to really work on my hips and to see if it helped at all. So I am taking a few more days off in hopes of getting this all under control.

ING Rock n Roll Half Marathon

Whew ok, that was a lot. I am really hoping to stay injury free this year, and I now know that prevention is key. I am taking extra time to really stretch, I am working on my core, and I know that if something starts to hurt it’s best to take time off immediately.

15 Responses to Running in 2011

1. Abby says:

Even though the Wissahickon picture is clearly from the fall, it makes me so excited for spring, when I’ll actually be able to see the trail again :)

2. allison says:

my vote is the sherox tri! for obvious reasons haha, but i totally understand the lack of pool. also – injuries are the worst. im dealing with the plantar fasciitis (although stretching, icing, and my new running kicks are DEFINITELY helping) and a pain in my ankle. its hard to figure out what is serious, and what you can push through

I know, I know. Obviously a tri is more badass than a duathlon. I need to look more into the mentor program and maybe sign up for one of their Saturday swim things.

3. Blair Schlichte says:

Hi! I found your blog on the kindlife post; read this entry and wanted to share my secret to running a pain free marathon :)
    My first marathon was terrible (injury-wise). I took on yoga at least once a week the following winter, then ran my second marathon (a year later) injury free. I honestly think its once of the best things for your body. Also cross training! Swimming will do wonders for your hip. But be careful with it, my girlfriend suffered a stress fracture in her hip from running and was out for 6 months.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the tip! I am really trying to incorporate yoga. I’ve even made Eric start doing it with me. I just need to keep it up. And find a studio! I’ve been doing it at home, but I really want to actually go to a place.

• Blair Schlichte says:

I’m excited to know you’re a runner and a vegan. I’m struggling with my diet but mainly because of my running. I ran my first marathon this last fall as a vegetarian and physically it was my hardest marathon yet. I actually did try to train with a vegan diet but failed. Distances past 13 miles were incredibly difficult for me, my body felt absolutely shot. I knew I wasn’t getting enough of the nutrients my body needed. I just couldn’t figure out a proper diet. Anyways, it continues to be a struggle for me. So again, excited to hear about your marathon and how you’ll prepare for your long runs!
        Finishing my first marathon was the best moment in my life – enjoy the highs and lows of the experience :)

4. simon says:

You should do San Antonio. You should. that way we can hang yo.

I want do! But it’s like 2 weeks have my marathon. I could be a total badass and run the SA marathon too! Or just the half again.

You still running?! You coming up here to run any races?!

• Lenire says:

no, it is cold here. and cold sucks.

I want to. maybe the philly one. I am trying to decide what to do with my 2010 bonus.

Buy a camera
        Fly to Hawaii
        Fly to Philly

The obvious choice is Hawaii

5. zomby says:

Awesome blossom! I’ve always wondered how people train for marathons.
    I’ve been running still but am struggling with sticking to a schedule and I’m tempted to run at the gym since the weather is pretty inconsistent but I’ve always been freaked out by treadmills. Ha! This month I’m hoping to do at least 2 13 mile runs though.

Well I will definitely keep you updated on the marathon training!

It can be hard to keep up with running when you aren’t really training for anything. You SHOULD sign up for a race though. Maybe come here and run Broad Street?
      And don’t freak out about the treadmills! I actually love treadmills because I can watch trashy tv and not feel guilty hehe.

• zomby says:

Oh I meant to ask if tempo runs help out any? Did you find that it benefitted you?
        Yeah I’m really bad with gym equipment. I don’t lift weights bc 85% of the time they fall on me and I did eliptical for a while but I had a couple of times where I almost tripped. I’m just really clumsy. I need to just stick with running, biking, and the ol turbokick.

Weird, it won’t let me reply to your second comment, so I will reply to my own comment.

Yes tempo runs DO work. But I actually prefer track workouts to tempo runs. Well track workouts done on a treadmill.
        Last time I was training I would run for .25mile at my goal pace then recover for .25mile and repeat over and over. This time I am running goal pace for .5mile then recovering for .25mile.

I wasn’t sure how well they would work, until I ran my third half marathon a a full minute faster pace/mile than my previous runs. They also keep the run interesting and hard. I could go on and on about how much I love track workouts.

6. Danielle says:

I did go diva last summer, it’s such a fun race! I can’t wait to do it again. Its not as challenging as others but a great time.