Running in 2012

Since I ran the Philadelphia Marathon back in November I have sort of taken off from actually training. That doesn’t mean I’ve become a lazy slob, but each week I have kind of done whatever I have felt like. Luckily we never really experienced winter and I was able to keep a solid average of 25 miles a week for the past 3 months. But if I didn’t feel like running, or even working out, I would just take the day off and try not to beat myself up.

Philadelphia Marathon

But all of that changes on Monday! Monday is the start of my first training cycle of 2012! And I am really excited to start following a schedule and achieving goals.

I feel like 2011 was all about just completing the distance. I ran my first (and second) marathon but most of my training was just about getting through. My speedwork was placed on the back burner and my pace severely slowed down. So I have decided that 2012 is my year. My year to actually accomplish some running PR’s.

Here’s what the year looks like so far:

1. Broad Street Run
I was one of the lucky few, err 30,000, to get in this early May race. This is probably my favorite race because 2 years ago it was my first long distance race. I’ve wanted to run a sub 1:25 for the past couple of months.

Broad Street Run

Then I read this really awesome post about the Failure Club, about setting what seems like an unattainable goal and then going for it with everything you have. So with that mindset I am setting my goal of running Broad Street in under 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Holding 8 minute miles for 10 miles really isn’t all that crazy, but it’s something that I will really have to work at to make happen. I already have my weekly speed work sessions planned out and it’s something I really hope I can achieve.
So, #1 goal is to run under 1 hour and 20 minutes, and #2 goal is under 1 hour and 25 minutes.

(post from 2010 and post from 2011)

2. ODDyssey Half Marathon
And 3 weeks after Broad Street I plan on runnning this half. ODDyssey is really special to me too because it was the first half marathon I ever ran.

number 1 spectator

It’s not the best course, because most of it is along West River drive, but it’s not too expensive and if my Broad Street training goes well then I should PR at this half. My current half PR is 1:51:xx and I would like to run it under 1 hour and 50 minutes.

(post from 2010)

3. New York Marathon or Philly Marathon
I entered to lottery for the New York Marathon, but won’t know till April if I got in or not. If I don’t get it then I plan on running Philly. I loved running the full last year and think it’s a great run. I loved seeing so many friends along the course and running through what has become my home.
My current marathon PR is 4:17 and I want to run a sub 4 hour marathon. I believe this is totally doable and now that I am not as scared of the distance I am determined to give it my all.

So yeah, my big racing plans for this year include a grand total of 3 races. I am trying to focus on quality over quantity this year. I’d like to compete in atleast 1 duathlon, so I am planning on that. I’d also like to do a race in Texas, but I am not sure if that will happen this year. And I have said this for the past 2 years, but I would really like to get more into cycling this year. Not sure if it will happen, but I am going to try to make it a goal.

15 Responses to Running in 2012

1. Evan Thomas says:

I haven’t planned any races for 2012 since the Philly marathon, and I have to say it’s a little freeing. Good luck; there’s definitely a sub-4:00 marathon in you!

2. Cole says:

Great goals!! It is so good to give yourself and physical and mental break from training. I just got down with three months of running and training and am in need of a break myself. Goals keep the break short while still maintaining motivation to move and stay active. Looking forward to reading about your training, good luck! Oh by the way love the Failure Club article!

3. you can dooooooooo it. I just checked out the failure club website and I love the concept! let’s start one in the illadelph!

4. jesse.anne.o says:

I have a weird question. What do you usually wear to run? I have to run a 4 milers on Saturday but I just signed up for that to make myself go to the gym so I’ve only “trained” on the elliptical. But I’ve also only worn regular ol’ cotton gym clothes. The only other small race I’ve done was in the summer and I just wore cotton shorts and a t-shirt.

Do you have wicking stuff you like?

• Lauren says:

I think for a 4 miler you would be ok in cotton stuff, but wicking materials are really nice and can make a big difference, especially when it’s hot/cold outside.

I don’t have a ton of stuff, and usually buy it marked down at TJMax. I do have a few Lululemon things that I really like, but that stuff is crazy expensive.

5. Good luck with training!

6. Quality over quantity – that’s my philosophy too. We have similar PRs, though you are slightly faster than me, and I am also hoping to hit a four hour marathon in the next year or two. The main thing holding me back right now is money and time, but I’m considering entering the NYC lottery anyway. We’ll see!

Good luck on your races and goals! It sounds like you have a great base to work with, so I’m sure you’ll kick ass no matter what. :)

7. Jennifer says:

I bit the bullet and signed up for the Broad Street Run too. I’ve never done any running before, but I’m always up for a good challenge. Hopefully I’ll stick to my training schedule and be in decent enough shape by May. Reading your blog has been such an inspiration to me!

8. Philip says:

Lauren, very glad that you were inspired by the Failure Club approach. One of the most important components of the Failure Club process is the support that comes from other members of the club. Check out http://pods.thefailureclub.org/maps to find other Failure Club members and Pods in your area.

Happy Failing

9. I’m running the Broad Street Run too! Loving this “Failure Club” concept. I’ve never run more than a 10K, so this 10-miler seems like such a far off goal for me to even complete. But eff that, I’m going for it! Why not?

10. Henry Garcia says:

Its quite refreshing for a person to read a story like this.

11. Pingback: Broad Street Run 2012 | Are You Kitten Me?